Past Posts

Friday, July 11, 2014

American Flag Shorts--Happy 4th!



Happy Belated 4th of July! So this is my best attempt at removing the background from my photo of my DIY 4th of July Shorts!  They were laying on a Chicago Bears blanket so it had a hard time catching the rest of the blue:)  These shorts ended up being a huge hit and were really cheap to make!
Materials
  •  Acrylic paint
  • Sponges and brushes (variety pack)
  • Painters Tape
  • Cardboard
  • Shorts, of course!


So there were a few steps to the shorts but definitely worth the time.  My sisters and I completed them over three days for about an hour each session.  They are pretty self explanatory as far as where each color needs to go.  I used the painters tape for the stripes, but I did the white paint first-which was a huge mistake!  The red ended up running into the white, which created a pretty pink color...I love pink don't get me wrong, but not on our American Flag! My one sister had much more straight and perfect lines, but I sort of liked my imperfections in the end.  
As far as the stars go, paint the background the navy blue, if your shorts are dark enough, you do not even have to paint them. I cut out a stencil using the cardboard from the cereal box.  It worked just fine.  Hold the star down and start painting with the white from the tip of the star to prevent bleeding.  Once the front is complete, follow the same steps for the back!  Sorry, no pictures of the back:(  



  We all styled our shorts differently.  I went more casual with a plain white t-shirt, white chucks and red lipstick.  It was a fun, comfortable outfit that everyone seemed to like.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment